The secret to a radiant skin is not getting that highly-advertised facewash or cream that promises to fix all your skin troubles from acne, pimple, wrinkles or age spots. Nutrition has a big role to play in retaining skin moisture, maintaining elasticity and strength and keeping your skin forever young. The best way to nourish your skin is to start your day with beverages that have the right mix of nutrients – vitamin, minerals, antioxidants – and can help your skin look radiant, clear and fresh. (Also read: Consuming a lot of drinks and beverages this summer? Here are its side effects)
“Achieving a radiant and healthy complexion goes beyond skincare products. The beverages we consume play a significant role in supporting skin health and promoting a natural glow,” says nutritionist Anupama Menon in an interview with HT Digital.
Menon suggests drinks that can enhance the appearance and vitality of your skin.
1. Herbal infusions
Swap out plain water with herbal infusions to give your skin an extra boost. Herbal teas, such as chamomile, rosehip, or hibiscus, are rich in antioxidants and phytochemicals that can help combat oxidative stress and inflammation. These infusions provide hydration while promoting a clear and radiant complexion. Experiment with different herbal blends to find your favourite and enjoy sipping your way to healthier skin.
Herbal infusions recipe
Replace your regular cup of tea with that of the one infused with chamomile, rose or hibiscus. These herbal teas will nourish your skin and supply it with the best nutrients.
1 teaspoon of chamomile, rosehip, or hibiscus tea (or a blend of your choice)
1 cup of boiling water
- Place the herbal tea of your choice in a cup.
- Pour boiling water over the tea leaves and let it steep for 5-10 minutes.
- Strain the tea to remove the leaves.
- Allow the herbal infusion to cool down to a comfortable temperature.
- Sip and enjoy the refreshing and skin-nourishing benefits of herbal infusions.
2. Coconut water
Nature’s ultimate thirst quencher, coconut water, is an excellent alternative to plain water. It is naturally rich in electrolytes, vitamins, and minerals, including potassium and magnesium, which support proper hydration and contribute to skin health. Coconut water helps to maintain the skin’s moisture balance, resulting in a supple and radiant appearance. Additionally, its anti-inflammatory properties can aid in calming skin irritations and reducing redness.
3. Cucumber and mint infused water
For a refreshing and skin-friendly drink, infuse water with slices of cucumber and a few sprigs of fresh mint. Cucumber is hydrating and contains silica, a mineral that promotes collagen production and enhances skin elasticity. Mint possesses soothing properties that can alleviate skin irritations and inflammation. This infused water not only provides hydration but also offers a refreshing and cooling sensation, making it perfect for hot summer days.
Cucumber and mint-infused water recipe
1 cucumber, sliced
A handful of fresh mint leaves
1 litre of water
- Add the cucumber slices and fresh mint leaves to a pitcher.
- Fill the pitcher with water.
- Stir gently to mix the ingredients.
- Refrigerate the infused water for a few hours to allow the flavours to meld.
- Serve the cucumber and mint infused water chilled, and enjoy its refreshing and skin-soothing effects.
4. Carrot juice
Carrot juice is a delicious and nutrient-packed beverage that can work wonders for your skin. It is a rich source of beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant that converts to vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A helps promote skin cell turnover, repairs skin tissue, and contributes to a smooth and glowing complexion. Additionally, carrot juice contains vitamins C and E, which further support skin health by protecting against free radicals and improving collagen synthesis.
Carrot juice recipe:
4 large carrots, washed and peeled
1 small piece of ginger (optional, for added flavour)
1 lemon (optional, for added tanginess)
- Cut the carrots into small pieces.
- If using ginger, peel and chop it into small chunks.
- Pass the carrots (and ginger, if using) through a juicer.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into the carrot juice and mix well (if desired).
- Pour the carrot juice into a glass, and revel in its skin-nourishing goodness.
5. Green smoothies
Green smoothies are an excellent way to nourish your skin from within. Blend a combination of leafy greens, such as spinach or kale, with fruits like pineapple or kiwi for a delicious and skin-loving concoction. Leafy greens are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that promote overall skin health. They provide hydration, improve skin elasticity, and protect against premature ageing. Fruits add natural sweetness and provide additional vitamins and antioxidants to enhance the drink’s skin benefits.
Green smoothie recipe:
2 cups of leafy greens (such as spinach or kale)
1 cup of chopped fruits (e.g., pineapple, kiwi, or a combination)
1 cup of liquid (water, coconut water, or almond milk)
Add the leafy greens, chopped fruits, and liquid to a blender.
Blend on high speed until smooth and well-combined.
Pour the green smoothie into a glass.
Take a sip and let the nutrients and antioxidants revitalize your skin from within.
6. Skin glow straw: ABC Juice (Serves 300 ml)
(Recipe by Chef Piyush Kankaria, Yellow Straw)
1. Cut 500 gm of carrot into small pcs
2. Cut 1 medium/large sized apple into 8 pcs
3. Cut 1 small beet into 6 pcs
4. Cut an inch long ginger
5. Put carrots, apple, beet & ginger into the juicer one by one. Ginger needs to be added first.
6. Add 3-4 cubes of ice in a glass and pour the juice
7. Squeeze one full lemon into the glass
8. Add a dash of rock salt as per taste
9. Stir well and serve
“While water remains an essential component of hydration, incorporating these alternative beverages into your routine can enhance your skin’s health and appearance. Herbal infusions, coconut water, cucumber and mint-infused water, carrot juice, and green smoothies offer a variety of skin-boosting nutrients and hydration. By making conscious choices about the beverages you consume, you can enjoy a glowing complexion and radiant skin. Remember to complement these drinks with a balanced diet and a consistent skincare regimen for optimal results,” concludes Anupama Menon.